The SkillScan Approach
There are many reasons why test takers and counselors like the SkillScan approach to career skills assessment for career planning.
What Test Takers Like:
- Tactile and Engaging - test takers love how hands-on the SkillScan card sort process is, whether they complete the assessment on paper or online. It is fun, fast and engaging.
- Structured Learning - SkillScan provides a simple 3-step process to help you learn about your strengths and weaknesses, the skills you enjoy and want to use in a career and those skills needing development.
- Personalized Assessment Results - test takers assess 60 transferable skills to create their own personalized and graphical picture of skill preferences.
- Fast and Comprehensive - When you take Career Driver Online, you will receive your comprehensive results immediately upon completing the assessment. If you complete a card sort with the assistance of a counselor, you will have your results within 50 minutes. Each assessment features a report format that showcases your strengths, preferences and areas for growth.
- Practical and Direct Application to Your Career Goals - the results can be used to assist in career planning, evaluating a career transition, career advancement or marketing your skills in resumes and interviews.
What Counselors Like:
- A Skill Vocabulary- SkillScan's 60 skills and definitions provide clients with a vocabulary for describing their strengths and understanding areas of challenge -crucial for career planning, career transition, career advancement and marketing skills in a job search.
- A Tool for Thinking Outside of a Job Description - clients often think about what they can do based on their past work experience. SkillScan provides a common skill language for targeting work roles and functions that align with client skills.
- Organizational Framework - the SkillScan approach organizes skills into six categories including Communication, Relationship, Management/ Leadership, Analytical, Creative and Physical/Technical categories that connect well to competency models and job descriptions.
- Color-coded Skills and Categories - each of the 60 skills are grouped into one of 6 color-coded skill categories which bolsters client understanding of their unique set of core competencies and strengths.
- Time Efficient -Career Driver Online takes approximately 30 minutes to complete and eliminates counselor administration time. Advance Pack or Professional Pack card sorts can easily be completed in a 50-minute counseling session or during a 90-minute workshop.
- Interactive - the Advance Pack and Professional Pack card sorts create an opportunity for the counselor and client to discuss concerns and insights during the assessment - an opportunity to increase and deepen client self-awareness.
- Results can be Integrated - with all of the SkillScan assessments, client skill results can be integrated with both Holland and Jungian-based standardized assessment results to reinforce and validate themes across the assessments.
- Flexible - clients can access Career Driver Online at any time and from any location with internet access. Clients can save and store their report on the SkillScan server for 6 months or on their personal computer. They can also email their report to their counselor.