The SkillScan Approach
With SkillScan products you can help your clients identify their transferable skills for career planning, career change, professional growth or self-marketing. SkillScan products are available online and in print form.
Benefits for Counselors
- Skill vocabulary and organization that connects well to competency models and job descriptions
- Serves multiple needs: career planning, career change, professional development and self-marketing
- Integrate results with Holland-based interests, Jungian-based personality themes, and work place values
- Great for both one-on-one counseling and group workshops
- Includes strategies, case studies, and reproducible guides of career options and development activities
Benefits for Clients
- Understand the transferability of their skills to new functions and career options
- Identify skills needing development to enhance career mobility
- Acquire descriptive language for leveraging their skills in resumes and interviews
- Increase their self-awareness and self-esteem
Three Innovative Skills Assessment Tools
11th Grade Reading Level
9th Grade Reading Level
Career Driver is an online, self-directed skills assessment tool that provides your clients with a profile of their transferable skills and preferences — knowledge essential to identifying satisfying work options, creating a career development plan or evaluating their next career move.
Career Driver features an interactive online card sort assessment that takes about 20 - 30 minutes to complete. Clients receive a comprehensive and detailed report that showcases their greatest strengths, areas for development with specific action steps, Skill Sets, Suggested Career and Educational Options and numerous tools and resources including self-assessment exercises, career and educational exploration, professional development and self-marketing for the job search.
Counselors & Coaches can purchase grantable uses which allows report access to both the client and counselor. A great tool for Virtual Career Coaching.
- Card Deck – the cards consist of 60 transferable skills that fall into six major skill categories. Each skill card is denoted by an icon and color to designate the category it belongs to. Each deck includes nine category cards to use in identifying proficiency level, preference level, skill development and an optional “No Longer Can Use” category card. This card is useful for clients who have sustained injuries that prevent them from using certain skills.
- Advance Pack Assessment Report – an 11" by 17" form for organizing and recording results.
- Advance Pack Facilitator’s User Guide on CD Rom – an extensive manual for effectively administering and applying results to client career needs in four main stages of career development: Assess, Explore, Develop and Promote. Over 90 pages of exercises and illustrations are reproducible for client and workshop use. The facilitator's guide also includes a Leadership Role Assessment for evaluating management and leadership paths.
- Supplemental Products – Power Point Customizable Presentation (CD Rom) for administering Advance Pack in workshops.
- Card Deck – the cards consist of 64 transferable skills that fall into seven major skill categories. Each skill card is denoted by color to designate the category it belongs to. Each deck includes six category cards to use in identifying competence, preference level and optional skill development.
- Assessment Report – an 11" by 17" full color form for organizing and recording results.
- Facilitator’s Manual – a comprehensive manual in CD Rom format that includes sorting instructions and reproducible handouts including a Skill Wheel for identifying core competencies, suggested career options for each Skill Set and guides for integrating skills with other assessments.
Sample Client Report: a comprehensive report of client strengths, skill sets, development activities, suggested career and educational options and additional resources
Reading Level: Career Driver is written at an 11th grade reading level
Time to Complete Assessment: Allow 30 minutes
Technical Requirements: Firefox, Internet Explorer 6 (or above), Safari, Chrome
Background: Career Driver is based on SkillScan’s proprietary assessment tool, Advance Pack, which was developed in 2005. The skills and definitions in Career Driver are the same skills used in Advance Pack, a print version of the online program.
Validity and Reliability: SkillScan is an intuitive-based assessment process in which the user makes decisions about his/her skills based on his/her unique life and work experiences, feedback and preferences. The resulting report has high face validity because it is based on the user’s selections.
Advance Pack is a counselor-directed card sort skills assessment for assisting college students and adults with professional work experience in identifying their transferable skills for career planning, career change, professional growth and self-marketing. Advance Pack is written at an 11th grade reading level.
Advance Pack Systems includes:
Professional Pack is a counselor-directed skills assessment ideal for a broad spectrum of clients from high school students to adults in transition. Professional Pack is written at the 10th grade reading level.
Professional Pack includes: