What do you do when you are dissatisfied with your career? How do you start to look for a different one? How do you overcome the fear and anxiety that often accompanies the job search?
Self-assessment and a Career Counselor are two of the best ways to gain a deeper understanding of yourself and your career options.
Benefits of Career Counseling
Today's world of work is complex, with more career options than ever before. Whether you are starting your career, deciding if you should change careers or jobs, or interested in career advancement, the process can be overwhelming. A career counselor can help you explore career options, assess your skills, interests and values, and sharpen your job search skills.
Self-Assessment Is the First Step
Self-assessment is the process of gathering information about yourself in order to make an informed decision about your career. It is the first step in the career planning process. Your skills, interests, personality and values play an important role in your career choice. Career counselors use self-assessment tools like SkillScan and interpret the results to help their clients make connections with the world of work.
How SkillScan Helps Counselors Advise Their Clients
A counselor can use SkillScan to provide you with the information you need to help make decisions about your career. A counselor can use SkillScan to:
- Gain a comprehensive picture of your preferred skills and abilities
- Identify your core skills for focusing on appropriate career options
- Understand skills needing development to enhance marketability
- Recognize weaknesses and non-preferred skills to avoid job dissatisfaction
- Compare your skill sets to competencies valued in the marketplace